Are You Suffering From Dry Eyes?
If you’re suffering with dry, itchy, red or burning eyes, you’re not alone. It’s estimated that 40 million people in the U.S. have Dry Eye Disease.
Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD) is considered a leading cause of Dry Eye Disease, accounting for about 88% of cases. This can have a significant impact on your quality of life, leading for foreign body sensation, pain, blurry vision, dry or water eyes.
Pierre Afred, M.D. and our team of dry eye experts at the Eye Center can help. Our Dry Eye Specialty Center is dedicated to advanced diagnosis and management of dry, finding the cause and solution for real, lasting relief.
Lumenis OptiLight® is one of the many advanced treatment options that we offer, and may be part of your treatment plan.
The first and only IPL FDA approved for dry eye management.
Take the Dry Eye Self Test
Elevating dry eye management
Backed by numerous clinical studies, OptiLight’s novel Optimal Pulse Technology (OPT) provides a safe, effective way to improve Dry Eye Disease due to Meibomian Gland Dysfunctioni (MGD).
- A course of treatment typically includes 3-4 sessions spaced 2-4 weeks apart.
- Each session usually takes only 10-15 minutes.
- During the treatment your practitioner will apply a gel on the treatment area and cover your eyes with protective shields.
- OptiLight treatment is not invasive and is done on the area below the eyes.
- You may experience a warm sensation as light is applied to the skin. The treatment is gently and safe.
- OptiLight is often followed by Meibomian Gland Expression.
Gentle, fast, and no downtime.
- Immediately following your treatment, you may experience some redness. This will usually disappear within a few hours.
- You can return to your daily activities and apply makeup right away in most cases.
- You will be advised to stay out of direct sunlight for a few days and to apply sunscreen.
- Patients usually report an improvement after their 2nd or 3rd treatment.
- Maintenance treatments are usually recommended every 6-12 months to ensure the best long term results.
Meibomian Gland Rejuvenation with OptiLight
Lumenis® Optilight Intense Pulse Light (IPL)
OptiLight® can be an effective part of dry eye treatment at our Dry Eye Specialty Center. OptiLight® is gentle, fast and there’s no down time. This is an in office treatment that takes only a few minutes to perform, whereby brief bursts of light at specific wavelengths are applied to areas around the eyes. IPL works to stimulate and rejuvenate (photobiomodulation) the oil gland cells, close abnormal blood vessels that secrete inflammatory proteins responsible for chronic inflammation and damage to the meibomian (oil) glands. Patients report real improvement after their 2nd or 3rd treatments.